Friday, January 28, 2005

What is in a face?

Yesterday I saw my friends, they were laughing I asked them what was so funny.
They said they figured out who the Phantom Of the Opera should have been. I asked who and they said ...Bob Dylan. They said he would have been a scary phantom and they said Penny would have screamed when he took off his mask.
I ask you what is in a face? Don't get me wrong I'll be the first one to say I don't think Bob Dylan is the most handsome man alive. And I don't apprectate his singing but have you ever stopped to read the words he has written to his songs? You can see him you can see his heart. Where on the other hand someone like Josh Groban is one of my favorite people to hear sing, but in his songs you see so little of him of his heart what his passion is what he dislikes about this world.
It makes me think back to the end of this last year I was watching Cyrano de Bersiac with some of my friends in the movie Cyrano is head over heels for a very pretty young lady. Cyrano is very good with words and is very learned. But Cyrano won't tell her how he feels because Cyrano happens to have a rather large nose. So the young lady falls in love, on sight alone, with a very handsome young man and wants to talk to him but the young man is a little dense. But Cyrano the master of words saves the young mans day by writing love letters for him. After time the young lady realizes she loves the heart of the words not the nice looking face. All that to say why do we put so much on how one looks should we not look for who they are? What their heart is.

It is a lesson the young lady in the movie leared and one I hope we all learn.

12 comments:

Eucharisto said...

Bob Dylan can't help the way he looks physically, but he does dress nicely, and is not known to be a viscious or mean person. As a matter of fact, if you had but lived 30 years before you do now, you would know him as the voice of a generation. Most of what I just saw was opinion, not objective critisism. Read this conversation between Samuel and God, as Samuel goes to anoint a king in place of Saul:
1Sam. 16:6 ¶ When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely the LORD’s anointed stands here before the LORD.”
1Sam. 16:7 ¶ But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
I could pick many other examples throughout the Bible of people so inclined. But the point is that physical appearance tells very little. Now if you wanted to judge someone based on their moral stance, that's different. Then you are simply standing up for your convictions. And that's an important thing to do. But for someone's physical stance, that seems a bit overreaching.

Eucharisto said...

By the way, midsummer, well pointed out. I enjoyed reading your article.

Andrew Price said...

Good post, Midsummer, very honest. I was going to quote 1 Samuel in agreement but Joel beat me to it. Bob Dylan's a sinner touched by grace, you know just by his music if you look hard enough (though, I admit, you'll find more proof of the sinner element than the grace, but it's there, I promise!), this Groban fellow on the other hand... a robot could sing- wait I'm getting carried away, anyway good job, keep it up.

Post Script: Congratulations! You now know the secret of getting people to comment on a post: mention Bob Dylan or Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. U2 works as well, as I have discovered recently...

Anna E. P. said...

Thanks Knight, I will keep it in mind for when I go through a dry spell. Lulu I'm afraid I did not make my self clear to you. I agree with you that you can tell some things about a person by how they treat people and how they treat themselves. If I saw someone that was wearing lets say a shirt that said horabol and/or
in moral things on it, it would be a bad idea for me not to be weary of that person. But that is not what I was trying to say. One thing I was trying to say was that if you take people just on "Face value" you will probably miss what really makes them the person they are. And that it is the person (heart) not aperients that really is important. Thank you Joel for putting up 1 Sam 16:6-7 it goes right with what we are talking about. I am so glad God looks at the heart or lots of people would not have a chance.
It also made me think about the deferens in-between David and Saul. And made me think that David could be put in with Bob Dylan, and Cyrano de Bersiac as not the best looking guy but defiantly has a talent with words.

Anonymous said...

Some times, I think people depend to much on looks. I have come to find out even "ugly ducklings" become beautiful swans, even if it is inside. Beauty is only skin deep, it is what is inside that matters. I have found myself judging other people, but then I remember the Bible says in Matthew 7:1-2,

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

May we all think on these verses when we find ourselves judging others.

Anonymous said...

The Bible is not to be taken out of context. The Passage just quoted in Mattthew is about judging ones salvation not the appearance, attitudes or actions. The application is very appropriate though.

Anonymous said...

Sweet dear Anna: Thank you for this post. I have once again been reminded to see others through the eyes of Christ not eyes of the flesh. I want to see with my heart. The Queen needs prayer, the pics aren't ready yet and our hearts miss you guys. Love QM

Meiska said...

Thanks, dearest! We all know how I feel about Bob Dylan, but it's his music I don't like. I can't really criticize his looks. This all shows how as humans we are so visual(good for the artists).But hey, if you really think about it, for his age, and the things he has, um, done, he looks pretty good!

Anonymous said...

pah, ha,ha...WhAtEvEr!

Anna E. P. said...

It's O.K. Penny. Don't take it so hard.

Eriol said...

the glint of One Eyed Odin
is high in the sky
as memory and thought envelop the night.
lighting strikes,
spear in the
Gailiean's side
and slowly paradise
greater than valhalla
peeks through

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.