Thursday, April 13, 2006

Love

As I was writing today this quote kept coming to my mind, so I thought I would post it.

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it careful around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable... The only place out side of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers... of love is Hell.
C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

11 comments:

Andrew Price said...

An exellent quote; thanks for sharing. (I only remembered that last part.)

Sister Ames said...

that's beautiful! thanks!! And crazy thing that there is this girl at school who I keep having incredible convesations with (God is working a lot there!!!) and she's been trying to figure out what love is...that's excellent! I'll have to take it to her. :-)

Eucharisto said...

This goes along with some things I've been thinking about lately in reference to God's love.
Wonderful quote!

Meiska said...

What a wonderful quote! C.S. Lewis is such an excellent writer, and he saw the risks taken in love. I haven't ever read that book though. I'll have to look for it. Thanks Midsummer!

Meiska said...

HA! I have obtained the book from the library. Now I just have to read it before schools out...

Eucharisto said...

Happy birthday! Happy birthday! I'll even say it one more time for good measure. Happy birthday!!!

Anna E. P. said...

Ah, thanks.

Jeremiah Moon said...

w00t!


(The word w00t here means that's a pretty crazy awesome quote.)

Unknown said...

Nice quote, I hope everything goes well at camp, I miss you guys.

Sister Ames said...

hi dear!
I just wanted to say I hope you have an absolutely incredible experience at camp!! (I won't see you Wednesday because I'll be at graduation) But hey! know that I'm prayin for you like crazy! He's gonna use you! I know He is!! :)

Katie said...

Love... I love YOU! It was a great quote and very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.