Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Unreal

The other day the sky laid close to the earth in a gray sheet. I was on my way to school when I saw something that made me wonder; A middle age, respectable looking women was sitting at a bus stop, she had her bag sitting next to her with what seemed to be a pile of rages on top. (part of this that made it so unreal feeling was I was inside a bus across the street, so I couldn't here her) She was very agitated about something, she was talking and crying (the way people sometimes do when they are sad but also mad so they let you know why they are upset), also she was smoking a lot. I was trying to figure out who she was talking to because there was nobody beside her, she kept touching the rages, she picked them up and held them to her chest, kissed them, set them back down. About this time she picked them up again and I realized part of the mystery: The rags were in fact a rag doll, like ones that I have, and it was the doll she was talking too. The answers to those questions presents a bigger question: Why would a grown respectable women be pouring her heart out to a rag doll while she is smoking waiting for a bus? Was the doll hers from childhood? Is the women crazy? Did it belong to someone that she loved who is now dead? Has she always ridden the bus or did that start lately, same with the cigarettes did she just start, is she smoking more now? Why is it she only has the doll to talk to? Oh yeah remember this is just a glimpse of someones real life tonight she is somewhere out there in this big dark world.

1 comment:

BDT said...

You have a way of boiling things down to their deepest level. Even though this story makes me really sad, I'm glad you posted it. thanks