Thursday, February 05, 2009

Kids and cold water



Wednesday was full of sun as I walked the five or so blocks to the elementary school. Lunch today was corndogs, a favorite. Quietly I signed in and headed to the cafeteria. The ladies behind the counter know me and kindly gave me two corndogs and jokingly told me not to let the kids see.

Over to the 1st & 2nd grader table I went. They scooted and I had a seat. They all notice within a matter a seconds that I had a second corndog. When asked I simple said "They just put it on my plate" (which was completely true) Then the kids started talking about how nice the kitchen ladies are, and how they gave one of the boys a cup of cold water. They went on and on about how they handed him the styrofoam cup full of water, and how nice they were.

During this conversation a particular teacher on lunch duty walked by and remind the kids to talk quietly and keep eating. When she was out of earshot the kids told me all the mean things she had said to them.

The stark difference was there: a teacher who should have been a life giver had instead decide to belittle her students who now claimed to hate her and three cooks who spent not even a minute a day with the kids were their heroes.

2 comments:

stormi esperanza said...

the suspense is killing me! =)

stormi esperanza said...

good! interesting note: matthew just blogged about a cup of cold water too! referencing when the 3 mighty men got water from the well for him and he was so humbled that he poured it out. it truly is the little ways that we show love that make big effects. i liken it to gulliver's travels, when the lilliputans tie him down with so many ropes that he can't get up. we tie and are tied by those we love in many little ways...