Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Prayer... more thoughts

Psalm 44 at first seemed like the normal "God you're cool" psalm, then it turned into "Our lives stink" also a standard theme for a psalm, normally because the psalmist has forgotten God, then it turns into "We have been faithful" odd seeing how their lives stink, then as it nears the end the psalmist tells God (and I quote) :

"Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep?
Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever.
why do you hide your face
and forget our misery and oppression?"

He then reminds God of his (God's) unfailing love.

All in all a rather surprising psalm. The strangest part for me isn't the emotions the psalmist went through. I think I've felt all of those, no the strange part is that it's in the Bible.

Think about it, we know that the Bible is inspired. And here we have someone complaining/pleading with God. Is that okay? There isn't a post script saying the man was killed by lightning after he penned the words.

It seems there is another aspect of prayer that I haven't thought about.



3 comments:

BDT said...

this sounds familiar. I like your think. let's be friends.

Anna E. P. said...

Thanks, I like your think too, we can be friends.

Katie said...

I love your summary! That's about how I read them sometimes.

I'm with you though. God is so patient with us, and He is so awesome at just allowing us to express our mess to Him. He listens. No lightening.